Saturday, May 1, 2010

On the Road (almost) & Foundational Thoughts

It is just past midnight (EST) and I'm all packed and ready to begin the week-long cross-country journey to Washington. I'll make some posts throughout this week and continue posting in the future.

As many of you know, I'm heading out to Washington to work with Sacred Road on the Yakama Reservation. I'll be in charge of children's ministry, working with youth, leading summer teams, and assisting the pastor. I could not do this without your financial and spiritual support and I'm deeply humbled and moved by your prayers, encouragement, giving, and love. Thank you.

In an editorial note, I've changed some stuff on the blog. I changed the title and added a verse on the right. I really like Revelation 5, and especially verse 5 because it is a good reminder that no matter how bad things appear or how bleak the situation appears, we have an advocate in heaven, a high priest who understands our weakness, we are surrounded by the everlasting arms, and He has conquered. A favorite song of mine puts the same idea in a different light: "When Satan tempts be to despair and tells me of the guilt within, upward I look and see Him there who made an end of all my sin." Our hope and trust does not lie in the situations we are in or our skill, wisdom, preparation, or humility, but in the fact that Christ conquered, it really occurred, and we can trust in it and His promise to be with us until the end of the world.

These are thoughts that encourage me and give me strength and faith. I wanted to share with you that although this verse means a lot to me, I am quick to forget it and the implications it has for me and ministry. I feature this verse prominently on the blog so as to remind myself, but also to remind the readers out there and spur you to pray for me that I would remember this verse and others and live as if they are true. I cannot serve without your prayers and God's strengthening me - I know all too well my weaknesses and tendencies.

Thanks again for your support and continued support. I would weep loudly, despairingly, and without hope if not for the love of Christ that changed all things.

It takes a while to make a post and I need to sleep. Grace and Peace to you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You amaze me. I am so very blessed. Sharing you with others is hard because of how much we have grown to depend on you for many things. My own selfishness would hold onto you too tightly. Yet, I am thrilled to the depths at your desire to serve this period of time and share your life among the Native Yakama people.I love you very much. Your great great grandfather Tsavatewa (Harold for whom your were named) would be so pleased. I think you remember that he was the first Tsavatewa to become a Christian as the result of a Mennonite missionary couple who reached out. We are proud of you. Sissy would have been right there with you in Yakama as she loved an adventure and missions too. You share her same heartfelt compassion for those who do not know or understand the unfailing unconditional love of God. We will keep you covered in prayers and thanks so very much for the encouraging scripture.
Love Mom (aka Mow-sa)

Anonymous said...

Christ has defeated DEATH!